Monday, February 16, 2009

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle

I visited a college in New York today. And I auditioned for Idlewild.

I wasn't nuts about the college. I pretty much nailed my audition.

I came with my guitar, and sang "Mama who bore me" from spring awakening. Then I sang the first verse of "Freddy my love" because he asked me to sing something else. Then he was like "I'm really interested in you. I like you a lot." Which is like, a big deal. He gave me "I will survive" to sing, which was sorta eh because I don't know it that well because disco sucks. So then he gave me "America the beautiful" to sing, which I belted and sounded fantastic on. THEN he was like I'm gonna dance you, and he gave me this really cool combo that I sorta messed up when he was taping it (The whole thing was taped, by the way) but he said I picked it up fast, which is a compliment in audition world. Plus, if they dance you, they aren't looking for perfection, they're looking for effort and commitment. So I'm not worried about it. Then we talked some more, and he took pictures and measurements. All-in-all, the audition that was supposed to last two minutes according to the web site lasted about 45. That's really REALLY good. That means I have a pretty good chance of being hired.

This is both a good thing, and a bad thing.

Good because I'd be making a ton of money. Plus I'd be doing what I love- preforming on stage. Plus, I'd be getting practice in dancing and singing, which is what I need practice in before I go to college land. And a year of theme park looks fantastic on any resume, especially when I finally get out in the real world and start auditioning, like...post-college.

Bad because I'd hardly get any time off- one day every five. And I'd be working noon till 9:30-10 at night. So I wouldn't get to see my friends. At all. Because chances are the day that I'd have off everyone would be busy on couple couple island (sorry ange) and wouldn't have time for me. The other problem with this is no ASP. The most I'd be able to get off is 2 days in a row unless I beg and plead, which still is a possibility. This is like my last year of being a kid, and I'd be throwing it away. And I'm afraid everyone would just accept life without me and move on and it wouldn't matter.

However, I haven't even been hired yet, and I won't know till second week in March, he said...I think. There's a part of me that wants this really bad, but there's a part of me that will die if I get hired.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha well i dont think a book is in order any time soon so save your money :p
    I SAW YOUR ARM!! im just trying to figure out where and when that is :/ hmmmmmmmmmmmm

    when i first read this post i was gonna advise you one way or the other about idlewild, but honestly...I DONT KNOW! i've worked jobs that owned my life...even moreso than idlewild cuz i had to livvvvve there. its so much fun, but you do miss your friends severely. but like you said, its a good opportunity. hmm.

    ReplyDelete