Saturday, April 18, 2009

No Day But Today













So RENT was pretty much fantastic last night. Like....really. It was so good. Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp were awesome. It was so cool because RENT made Broadway history, and they originated the roles. I loved every minute of it. Plus, Mr. Krack and Craig were there in the second row, and they had an empty seat next to them, so for act two I sat by Dan and we both cried. haha.

RENT always makes me cry. In act two, when Angel dies, Collins sings "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" and it's so soulful and deep and sad and beautiful. Any time that I was going through anything tough in my life like, ever, I would listen to that if I just wanted to just cry about it.

Then came "Halloween" which Anthony Rapp sings. It's about how he doesn't understand how so much could happen in just one year. "Why our entire year strewn on the cutting room floor of memory with single frames from one magic night forever flicker in close up on the 3-D imax of my mind" jumps out to me a a great lyric, and it always spoke to me, especially this past year when so much changed for everyone. And even before that "Halloween" meant a lot to me because my Baba died on Halloween, and when I found out he'd died I went and listened to that song.

Then, after Angel dies, at her funeral, all the friends start to argue. Collins, Angel's lover, breaks in and says "I can't believe he's gone. I can't believe you're going. I can't believe this family must die. Angel helped us believe in love. I can't believe you disagree. I can't believe this is goodbye." last night when Collins sang that, it struck me how much it pertained to me. Zach left. Theresa and Amber are next. Our friends who we said were our family have fallen apart. Its so sad.

Anyway, enough about how I'm emotionally attached to RENT. haha. The Mimi was fantastic, she was even better than the original Mimi in my opinion. And she was sooo pretty. Maureen was hysterical. "Over the Moon" was great. I loved it. I went nuts Mooing. The people next to me must of thought I was insane because I was like, hyperventilating when La Vie Boheme started. This was also the best Angel I've ever seen. The only principle I wasn't crazy for Joanne, but by the end of the show she'd grown on me a little. Maureen was so skinny. Holy crap. Like...she was literally nothing.

I wish I could watch it a million more times. And the movie just isn't gonna cut it. I realize I'm a dork, but RENT has significance to me. I love it...I'd forgotten how much I loved it until I saw it live....again. haha.

1 comment: